- Rashida Tlaib is the daughter of Palestinian Immigrants; she is the first Palestinian-American woman to serve in the US Congress.
- Before winning her seat in Congress, she was a state legislator in Michigan where she helped deliver key victories for the people such as community health clinics, food security for seniors, language justice, before/after school programs.
- Rashida fought hard against the anti-immigrant and anti-refugee policies of the Trump administration and she is known for calling for the defunding and abolishment of ICE and CBP.
- Similarly, she is a strong believer in criminal justice reforms as well as the upholding of LGBTQ and reproductive rights, environmental and housing justice and healthcare for all.
- She is outspoken about human rights violations that are sponsored, committed or supported by the United States in other parts of the world like the oppression of Palestinians by the State of Israel.
- Rashida is part of the emergent women of color leadership called “the Squad.” Alongside colleagues such as Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez, Omar and Pressley, they are champions for Black/brown flox and the working class.